DNA Travels On

This blog is designed to keep people in touch with the goings on of my time spent in Aringa, Uganda located in the Northwest part of the country during the summer and fall of 2006.

Name:
Location: Newark, Delaware, United States

Born in Scotland to an Englishman and American gal, I should have know that my life would end up being a mix of cultural experiences! First stop, Taipei, Taiwan.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Arrival in Uganda

Hello all!

Well I have now arrived safely in Uganda. Things appear to be very similar as they were 4 years ago when I was here last. Driving along the primary road from the airport to the capital city, Kampala, one sees numerous people walking along the road sharing the shoulder with goats, chickens, cows, and the occasional dog. I haven't been able to figure out the traffic system as of yet. At intersections there are no lights/stop signs so I'm not sure how my taxi driver knows when to go. It seems like you follow a line of cars until someone is brave enough to stick they're bumper out and get traffic flowing in the other direction...Needless to say this is a recipe for traffic jam. I am spending the day doing various errands in the capital, hopefully staying away from major accidents, which I'm convinced must happen on a regular basis...Though I guess if people are not going that fast, you don't have the chance for accidents quite so much.

I have a great host in Isaac's son Joel for the next few days, so I'm very thankful that I have some good friends who will make the transition to Africa that much easier.

Tomorrow I will have a bus ride from Kampala to Kigali Rwanda (I'm thinking it's about 6 hours...), so more road adventures await!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home