DNA Travels On

This blog is designed to keep people in touch with the goings on of my time spent in Aringa, Uganda located in the Northwest part of the country during the summer and fall of 2006.

Name:
Location: Newark, Delaware, United States

Born in Scotland to an Englishman and American gal, I should have know that my life would end up being a mix of cultural experiences! First stop, Taipei, Taiwan.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Time in Rwanda


A 7 hour drive along good African roads...I didn't know such things existed...finds me making my way to Rwanda. As we hurtled along the road from Kampala, Uganda to Kigali, Rwanda, the landscape transitioned from one of flat land to one of rolling hills and valleys; it's all very green and lush. The horn of the bus erupted every 2 minutes politely notifying chickens, goats, and even people that they better get out of its way cause we we're not stopping for anything. Little groups of homes were clustered together in the hills as cattle grazed on the slopes and crop fields nestled in the valleys. After crossing the border, which involves climbing off the bus, getting exit permits, walking across the border, getting an entrance visa (Rwanda's is free! Most places seem to charge $30-50 if you are an expat.), having luggage checked by customs offices, and visiting the restroom after needing to go for 2.5 hours, I have found my way to Rwanda. It is so peaceful now in stark contrast to the violence of the genocide that happened 12 years ago.

The country is moving on from this dark period in its history, and in the current environment of development, entrepreneurial opportunities abound. The primary issue for Rwandans is to find start up capital. Since I have an interest in enabling this entrepreneurial spirit, some friends and I have pooled some resources and helped our dear businessman, Jules, to start up a computer retail business, Rwanda Dimension Technology. The reason for this side trip to Rwanda was to meet Jules, see the business, and discuss future strategy. I had to make the most of my trip to Africa! The company is growing very nicely with annualized growth of close to 30%, and we see many other opportunities for continued growth. This has been aided by government initiatives to promote IT development throughout the country and in schools. Jules good friends have been very kind to host me while I am here. I hope to make the most of my time in their western style home with amenities like electricity and running water!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are having a great trip so far, can't wait to see more pictures. We all miss you here in Delaware, Settlers just isn't the same without you!

7/23/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your trip sounds like such an awesome experience. Wish I was there!

Keep the updates coming!

Tim B

7/31/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home