DNA Travels On

This blog is designed to keep people in touch with the goings on of my time spent in Aringa, Uganda located in the Northwest part of the country during the summer and fall of 2006.

Name:
Location: Newark, Delaware, United States

Born in Scotland to an Englishman and American gal, I should have know that my life would end up being a mix of cultural experiences! First stop, Taipei, Taiwan.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Computer Training


Ma drupi, mi ngo ni!
(My brothers how are you?)

Well things are progressing here with the computer training. I have just finished my first complete class and given out exams, so we're moving along! I am realizing how privaledged I've been to grow up in the western culture where learning computers is a part of everyday life. The knowledge I've learned over time wasn't concentrated, but was gradual so it wasn't as difficult as the students here may find it. (Except for 7th grade Typing class, that was not easy, but they were right it was a skill we'd appreciate later.) I have a pretty good idea of how to take care of the problems that pop up here and there. So thanks for your prayers in that regard. It also helps to know the cardinal rule of computing: if you can’t fix it turn it off and back on. (Remove the battery if necessary.)



I want to draw your attention to a few details in the pictures at the left. Firstly, yes my hair is still long and growing ever longer. I know some of you despise it, but there are others that find it tolerable and interesting in a bohemian type way. I'm not sure how long I'll keep it like this. We shall see, though I will admit that it can get a little annoying at times, especially since my supply of gel is being severly rationed since they don't sell it here.

The second point is the fact that we are working on MAHOGANY tables. Yes, very fine hand crafted furniture (one of the trades students can learn at the school) made of the best materials around. I wonder which is more valuable, the tables or the objects that sit on top of them. I suppose Economics would dictate that here the supply constraints of the computers would boost their value, but if the setting happened to be across an ocean... If anyone wants to volunteer to help me figure out how to import mahogany to the States, that may be one of my next ventures.

Finally, if you want a short narrative of the goings on in the photo, you can probably add the captions: "To double click you push this button two times very quickly. No not that button...This one, two times...and keep your hand still or it will not work...You try again." and "you must keep your hands like this....Your fingers should not push the buttons when you leave your hands on the keyboard otherwise you get too many letters....Let them rest gently...Then you use this finger to push 'f'...Now try 'asdf'....NO it is not defeating you...You can defeat it!" It's coming along and some of them can even type the home row without looking. Some pick it up more naturally than others, as they have to retrain how their fingers move. Most of the students hadn't seen computers before, so any progress is really good progress and has validated some of my reasons for coming here in the first place. One prayer request I have is for the selection of the computer teacher once I leave. There are staff trained in computers in the area, but not at the school, so they can take care of the bigger issues that may come up. However, for the day to day teaching, we will probably choose one of my current students who is already on the staff. I would like guidance in selecting this person. Thanks so much, and I hope you are doing really well!

2 Comments:

Blogger dan said...

ah typing...hey...it sounds like your students are having a more advanced typing class than I did...I learned on a typewriter!

8/25/2006  
Blogger Jardinier said...

I'll figure out a way to import the tables if you keep your hang long.........some of us don't have that privalage.

8/29/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home