DNA Travels On

This blog is designed to keep people in touch with the goings on of my time spent in Aringa, Uganda located in the Northwest part of the country during the summer and fall of 2006.

Name:
Location: Newark, Delaware, United States

Born in Scotland to an Englishman and American gal, I should have know that my life would end up being a mix of cultural experiences! First stop, Taipei, Taiwan.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Ugandan Weddings

One of my final experiences here was attending my first Ugandan wedding. It is quite an event! There were 500 invited guests and a further 800 local villagers also showed up, so it was quite a party!!!!! They are quite extensive ceremonies lasting through the whole day. I arrived at 12 PM, apparently they had already been going strong for a couple hours singing and dancing in the church. The bride arrived for her 15 minute processional around 12:30 and the ceremony lasted until 2 at which point invited guests made their way to a reception hall for lunch.

It's tough for guys in this culture as they have to raise funds for a dowry to get a bride and then they also have to foot the bill for the wedding! It can all add up to a price tag that approaches 2-3 years worth of salary. (Grooms often get monetary support from their families to organize the activities because everything can cost so much.) I'm thankful I can get away with just buying a pretty rock and organizing a fun vacation afterward.

1 Comments:

Blogger dan said...

You better plan to not fall for a Ugandan girl then.

10/19/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home